SPE Student Chapter
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is an international body representing petroleum engineers and professionals world-wide.
Since its formation it has sought to act as a platform for engineers around the world to develop their technical knowledge and support the growth of the industry. SPE also represents students aspiring to pursue a career in the oil and gas industry.
After the opening of the School in 2003, 23 students registered with the SPE as student members with the support of Halliburton, and the SPE South Australia Section, Adelaide, sponsored the opening of the Chapter at the University of Adelaide.
The first executive committee was elected with Carrie Broad, President, Bradley Shipway, Vice President (Activities), and Myles Reagan, Vice President (Memberships).
Every new academic year has brought increased membership with the intake of new undergraduate and postgraduate students at ASP. The Chapter has grown to over 100+ members.
The executive committee is as follows:
2017 SPE Student Chapter
- President - Kimin McCaffrey
- Vice-President - Megan Sharman
- Treasurer- Yazan Arouri
- Secretary - Patrick Egan
- Masters's Rep: Mahdi Tavakkoli
- 4th/5th Year Representatives - Chris Babadimas, Andrew Helmore, Jake Tollenaar
- 3rd Year Representatives - Daniel Mynhart, Salama Abdu
- 2nd Year Representative - Kosta Bakopanos, Shadreck T Mbeveri
- International Student Representative - Noor Azrul Nordin
- Geology Representative - Dorsa Ghaziani
Mr Andrew A. Young, President of the SPE 2003, officially inaugurated the Student Chapter of SPE at a ceremony held in the Santos Petroleum Engineering Building on 25 March 2003. The Chapter now operates within the rules and regulations of the SPE.
Since its formation, the Chapter has managed to organise and participate in various social events. These include:
- the opening of the Santos Building
- annual dinner and ball - SPE South Australia Section
- student orientation and BBQs
- field trips and tours
- SPE luncheons and technical presentations in SPE South Australia Section
- the annual Petro vs Chem Eng Soccer Match
Stay up-to-date with SPE Student Chapter activities at the website.